Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Issues with Kismet

I must say, learning Kismet has been a challenge. As I have been going through my Wrath level for AIA, I have noticed that kismet can be a little buggy and difficult to master. I have been receiving amazing assistance, by a talented designer, Doug Oberndorf, and several instructors at school. Their tutelage has been essential in my moving forward, however, I am still running into road blocks.

My biggest issues are the two puzzles, Floor sensors and Circuit Box. I've been using a push trigger system on the crates for the floor sensors puzzle but it's bugging out.  I set up a trigger on each side of the crate and set up the matinee animation but whenever I test it out, the box moves in random directions. For instance, if I go to move the crate in one direction forward, the crate moves to the left instead.  Plus, some of the triggers don't work at all even though when playing it in matinee, they work fine. I wonder if it is because the animation path isn't 100% straight.  Also, once I set the crate on it's destination, nothing seems to happen. I'm supposed to get it to not be able to move any more once in the correct position and say "Good Job". And when moving a crate to the wrong position, enemies don't spawn.  Another strange thing is that with the first crate for floor sensor 1, after pushing the box a couple of times, all of a sudden the crate just disappears.

Another strange issue is that with the cinematic opening, which worked fine when I first started, now doesn't allow me to fire my gun. I have to disable it in order for my gun to work now.  I sent my level to Doug in hopes that he might be able to help me trouble shoot.  I feel like I am so close, but I only have 2 weeks before my portfolio show and I'm not sure what to do!!

In the meantime, I've been working on the lighting to set the mood and trying to get other things in order so that it's playable. I might have to just leave it open with enemies so that people can at least see the layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment